Some of our more responsible readers may have finished their holiday shopping already – I am not one of those people. Here’s a great idea for a last minute holiday gift that you can make in just a few hours with the materials and instructions included below.
- DAP RapidFuse All-Purpose
- Miter Saw
- Metal cutting shears
- 1/2 x 2” x 8’ board
- Decorative Metal sheeting
- small hooks (1 package)
- #8 1/2” wood screws
1. Cut your 1/2” board into 4 pieces. (2) at 14” long and (2) at 5 1/2” long.
2. Apply RapidFuse to both ends of the 5 1/2” pieces and clamp them in between the 14” pieces, as shown.
3. While the wood pieces are drying, measure out a 7 1/4” x 12 1/2” piece of decorative metal sheeting and cut with the metal shears. Make sure to wear protective gloves as this metal can be sharp once cut.
4. Measure the bottom of your frame, and make a mark every inch for your hooks. You can start the holes for the hooks with a small nail and hammer, or you can just screw the hooks in by hand with out starting holes first.
5. If you want to finish your jewelry holder with paint or stain, do this before you screw in the hooks. We used Rustoleum in Weathered Grey. Dry time for paint or stain can be a few hours – if you skip this step, your build time will be much shorter for this project.
6. We wanted our metal to match our hooks, so we spray painted it gold. However this step is optional.
7. Use (8) 1/2” #8 screws to hold your decorative metal screen in place on the back of the jewelry holder.
8. Hang up on your wall! Use the metal screening to hang earrings on,and the hooks will keep necklaces from tangling while on display.
Full instructions (with images!) here.